Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekly round-up

In an effort to be better about putting up consistent content on this blog, I'm going to start posting a "weekly round-up" every weekend, for facts you should know, highlighting good work and some constructive criticism.

Biden our time. With Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain duking it out for the presidency, and Sen. Joe Biden just announced as Obama's vice president, it's important to note that Sen. and Sens. are used as formal titles before names in regular text, but they're spelled out "Senator" and "Senators" in direct quotes. For more information, look up "legislative titles" in your AP style guide.

The tip of the Berg. Kudos to Robert Berg, whose e-mails letting us know when all the ads have been released are often inventive and delightful. One e-mail printed out a portion of the Lewis Carroll poem "Jabberwocky," replacing the first line to be about releasing ads. Keep up the good work, Robert!

Goodbye to Doug. Doug Alft, a photographer from the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune, has left to pursue a new career in long-haul trucking. To see some incredible photos that Doug has shot, check out Page 8C of this week's Central Wisconsin Sunday.

Where's that page again ... We could really stand to take better care of our page bins between Kristie's desk and sports — I can't think of a time in the past week where I walked by and it didn't look like a disaster area. Stevens Point and Marshfield are often comingled together, and there's often a huge stack of pages dating back through the week at any given time. It's good to have one centralized place to find finished pages if you have questions, but it could stand to have some care.

I'll be jotting down ideas for the next round-up over the course of the week, so if there's something you want pointed out, shoot me an e-mail and I'll post it.

2 comments:

WDH Copy Desk said...

Good idea Benton.

Thanks,

bo

WDH Copy Desk said...

Feel free to tidy up the pages at any time, Benton, or anyone else, for that matter. I usually do a couple of times a week.

— Kerry