Sometimes, in the rush to correct errors, prevent problems and improve content, workflow and the look of the paper, we get bogged down in what's WRONG in the paper every day. Pointing out weak points and errors are a vital part of improving our work, but we also need to hear about the good things being done by the desk, and there are a lot of them.
Here's just a few things:
*Liz spent a good 20 minutes Thursday night chasing down corrections for an obit in Marshfield. This included talking to the editor, the person who put the obit in the system and the funeral home (twice!).
*Benton's been getting props from all over for his cutout work on 1A refers.
*Andrew keeps us abreast of what's going on in the world and makes sure we always have an eye on what's live including Olympics (I think we saw every one of Phelps' races), convention coverage, Packers games and Bush's speech last night. He also moves effortlessly between news and sports, keeping the two departments on course with each other.
These are just a few examples of the good things being done by the desk each night. If you see something in the paper that you love (as well as any problems) don't hesitate to let someone on the desk know. I'm going to try to do a periodic 'gold stars' post, so if you're aware of something great, just let me know.
Keep up the good work, folks!
--Kristy
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
From Mark T.
I have two to add:
* Kerry: For his work on the "Financial meltdown" refers at the top of the Saturday, Sept. 27 edition of WDH. It was a break from the normal refer treatment and it just plain looked good.
* Liz: For her layout of today's front page with the big WILD! headline. I will admit it was under my guidance, and I will further admit that non-Brewers fans (and especially Cubs fans) will think it was over the top, but what I liked is that Liz took the permission to have fun with the layout and ran with it.
Post a Comment