Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Aldest one in the book

Alderman and alderwoman, or alderperson? This is a common question of mine looking at stories about city councils.

The entry for "alderman" on the AP stylebook Web site says to use the same rules for congressman/congresswoman. So alderman and alderwoman seem to be the rule... but there are no rules set for the plural in the book or on the Web site. Is it aldermen? Aldermen and alderwomen? Alderpeople?

2 comments:

Rob M. said...

In Chicago, the rule observed by the Tribune and others is that everyone is an alderman, even alderwomen like Toni Preckwinkle and Vi Daley. I guess I prefer it that way, because "alderwoman" is a bit unwieldy as a word. I suppose I would go with "aldermen" for the plural...if "city council members" didn't work, of course...

WDH Copy Desk said...

We should use City Council members or council members instead of aldermen, alderwomen or especially alderpersons.