Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hard time

Something that's been bugging me for a while now:

As near as I can tell, extended supervision is not the same thing as being in prison; it is essentially parole. If someone is sentenced to, say, a year in prison and three years of extended supervision, you would not say he was sentenced to four years imprisonment.

Am I correct?

-Benton

1 comment:

WDH Copy Desk said...

I spoke to Kerry about this and you are correct. Extended supervision is not the same as imprisonment. If someone was sentenced to 1 year in prison and 3 years extended supervision, you wouldn't say they had been sentenced to four years in prison. Nor could your headline reflect that. You could say they received a four year sentence, but not a four year prison sentence. At least, that's the impression I'm under. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will point it out.

--Kristy