Saturday, July 12, 2008

A litle problem

If the world "little" was misspelled "litle" in a headline that was 60 point or bigger, or was in a big fancy font, would you notice?

Would you be surprised to know that this was missed not once, not twice, but thrice on Monday Life covers, by different people (and then subsequently noticed on all three by Dan)?

Heaven knows I've made the same mistake — gone painstakingly through an entire page and neglected to read the headlines. But egad, man, three pages, same headline mistake on all of them.

Take your time, and be careful.

3 comments:

WDH Copy Desk said...

From Mark T.

Just to be clear, the check marks next to all display type are meant to signify, "Yes, I've read the (headline, caption, title, etc.) and A) Everything's spelled and punctuated correctly, and B) It makes sense with the story, photo or fact box."

I'm not being sarcastic. I realize it might not have been clear in my earlier message about proof reading, and I can't imagine checking a large headline for spelling and missing "Litle.

WDH Copy Desk said...

Egads, indeed! When you place that check mark, you are declaring that to the best of your ability and knowledge, that item is correct. Be sure before you make the mark. Take the time necessary — it's not as long as you think — to get it right. It's our job.

Today, we had a Stevens Point records page header that said "Police." Problem is that the file is actually a calendar. The proofer marked it as correct. Come on! We're better than that people.

WDH Copy Desk said...

Sorry, that last comment was from Kerry. I forgot to sign my name.