Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Panty raid?

While editing an obit today, I found "panty" instead of "pantry" in a reference to where memorials may be made. Oops. That's one that spell check won't catch, unless you tell it to.

You can flag words in NewsEdit that are likely to make us go red in the face if they make it into print in the wrong context.

In NewsEdit, go to Utilities and drop down to "Edit Spelling Exceptions." In the space provided, type in the word you want spell check to stop on. In my list, I have "pubic" and "panty." (You can add as many as you'd like, but these are a couple I find to be problematic. Let me know if you have other handy ones that I can add.) Click Add and then close the window.

Next time you run across that word in spell check it will stop and you can determine if it's really a panty you want or a pantry.

Mystique

1 comment:

WDH Copy Desk said...

Great tip, Mystique. I was not aware of that function. Sounds like something we should all be doing.

— Kerry