Something I've noticed lately, and which happens to be a pet peeve of mine, is the incorrect use of the word diagnosis. You cannot diagnose a person. You can only diagnose a disease. A doctor can give a diagnosis of, say, mono, but a person cannot be diagnosed with mono. However, a person can receive a diagnosis of mono.
I bring this up for two reasons. 1. to make sure I have it right since I've been changing it on proofs lately. And 2. if I am right, as a friendly reminder to editors and reporters. If I'm not right, someone please let me know asap.
Any other pet peeves anyone has they'd like to bring up?
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's funny (odd) how some things stick with different people and we call them pet peeves. I believe your diagnosis is correct. Thanks for the reminder. I changed it in my editorial.
My pet peeve (for today!) is forwards/backwards. AP style has separate entries for these, forward/backward, yet it showed up with the "s"in a headline in WRT today. Correct in the copy, but wrong in the big type.
Post a Comment