I've been noticing, for the past few months, that there seems to be some confusion about the correct way to slug stories in NewsEdit.
The correct way is: Publication (WDH, SPJ, WRT, MNH) Date (0426) slug (Biofuel)
Things to keep in mind: If you don't put spaces between the publication and the date, the story will not send to the Web correctly. If you put more than 1 space between publication and date and slug, the story will not send to the Web. If you put a space AFTER the slug, the story will not send to the Web. If you make your slug more than one word using a space between them (i.e. Tax Day or Obit Smith) the story will not send to the Web. The use of commas, quotes, dashes, etc. means the story will not send to the Web. A story NEEDS to be slugged publication, date, slug (one word).
Fact boxes should have identical slug names to the story they go with (including capitalization) and then have _aa after the slug (without a space between).
We spend a lot of time correcting slugs so things can be sent to the Web correctly. If everyone would just slug things correctly, it would save us a lot of time and probably make things easier on reporters, too. Just something to keep in mind.
--Kristy
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Slugs are important.
On the days when I fill in for Dan or Rob, if I have trouble getting a story to the web, it usually is a problem with the slug.
Over time, you become aware of what works and what doesn't.
I'll touch on some Publicus stuff in this week's design session. Troubleshooting slugs will be part of it.
Actually, that will be the name of my new copy desk gang. The Troubleshooting Slugs. We'll all get tattoos with gothic letters spelling it out on our neck.
Care to join?
Can the design for said Troubleshooting Slugs be anthropomorphic gastropods with little pistols and leather jackets?
I would also like to second that having to change slugs to send things to the Web is mighty inconvenient.
Um, I'll pass on the neck tattoo. Sorry guys :) I'd be willing to get it on my ankle or something though.
Last night I encountered three word slugs, slugs with spaces after the last word and slugs with two spaces between each aspect. And that's just in one night. Clearly, we need to give more attention to naming stories.
long live the troubleshooting slugs!
-Kristy
Post a Comment