Monday, June 16, 2008

Grabbing the brass ring

Well, we've had the carousel up on our collective Web sites for about a month now. Personally, I like it - I think it's a cool little way to show off the top stories.

I'm a little confused, though, about the flow of information to it. Are we intending to have three fresh, new stories in the carousel every day? I look right now at the Stevens Point and Marshfield sites, for example, and there's still a story from Central Wisconsin Sunday making the rounds. (Granted, it is Monday.)

Also, what about communication between editors and copy editors about what should go in the carousel? Is it usually pretty clear? I often do Rapids' front, and Jeff's made clear to me to just put one news story on the carousel because sports will take care of one and Mystique will take care of another, but I'm fuzzy what to do with Point and Marshfield.

Finally, and this is a question I've asked most of the copy editors face to face already, what do you do when none of your news stories have art attached with them, making none of them particularly good candidates for the carousel? I've been sending the standalone center for Rapids when that happens.

Benton...

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

For Marshfield, it seems that Jon specifies in the online budget what he wants us to use in the carousel. Sometimes I forget to look, but I think his carousel preferences almost always are listed at the top of the online budget, along with skybox suggestions.

Mystique said...

Yes, Marshfield specifies in the online budget. There is a separate item for 1A content, including what to use for refers, etc.

Brian Otten said...

My understanding is that there should be three fresh stories in the carousel each morning. Those stories will often become obsolete or replaced with new items as the day progresses (think the WDH site yesterday).

I could even see a time when during the course of the day we turn those stories over three or more times. This will occur as everyone becomes more comfortable with manipulating the carousel in Saxotech, but we're not that far away.

I agree that we haven't communicated very well about a standard way for all four papers to designate a particular carousel piece. What would be the preferred method for the sports, day and night desks?

— Brian O.