Friday, April 25, 2008

In the news, about the news

Noted Madison newspaper to print final daily

This story first appeared in our state news section about 2 months ago when the announcement was first made: The Madison Capital Times is going to a purely online format, with two weekly tabloids (one about entertainment, one being a news magazine) still being published.

Being journalists and seeing as how we're focusing so much on our online content ourselves, I'm curious to see what our opinion of this is. It looks like the Capital Times has been hurting for a long time — that current circulation of 17,000 is really low for a city of Madison's size — so it's not a big surprise.

-Benton

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Even if this is not surprising, I find it alarming. It seems that an increased online focus throughout the industry is going to decrease the need for page designers. I imagine one graphic designer could possibly do all the Capital Times layout now.
Even worse (I think), it seems publications are starting to get less interestedin copy editors. When the budget is tight, why shouldn't copy editors be the first to go?