The posts on this blog are getting fewer and further between (thanks, Kristy, for the most recent), which means we've either addressed every conceivable writing, editing and organizational concern or people are forgetting.
I know some of our more prolific bloggers have had vacation days recently, or they've been cranking hard to cover for others' vacations.
How might we keep this conversation lively each day without relying on the same two or three people? I'd welcome some thoughts. Heck, I'd welcome a reply just to know someone's still reading this blog.
— Mark T.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
How about prizes?
I have an empty pretzel bucket at my desk for the next person who replies!
Just remember, you'll need to pay taxes on the prize, so don't reply unless you are serious about accepting this gift.
- Brian O.
Well, taking a risk of having to pay $.000001 in taxes for the empty pretzel bucket, I shall be the next to reply.
I think, for some, the fact that while things are discussed here, no decisions seem to be made is disheartening. Maybe it would be beneficial to go back through some of the discussions and put down some resolutions for questions that have been brought up. This would also help people remember what's been discussed.
--Kristy
OK, now none of you should fall over dead or otherwise, but I'm making my Advisers with an 'E' debut here.
My apologies for not having been a participant. I have read most of the posts, though.
I will be a regular and active
participant from now on and I will do my best to make sure we make some decisions here.
What issues/questions would you, dear bloggers, like to have settled first?
— Kerry
Central Wisconsin with or without the capital C — especially in CWS. I think of it every time I edit something and wonder if a decision was made and I didn't know about it.
thanks, Kerry!
Kerry,
In addition to Central Wisconsin vs. central Wisconsin (most of us voted for lowercase), here are a few other questions still unresolved in this blog:
Lake Du Bay or Lake DuBay? (I don't know)
Seat belt or seatbelt?(I vote for seat belt)
Is it "saving the Earth," or "saving the earth?" (I vote for Earth)
At what age do we stop referring to young people by their first names on second reference, and do we distinguish between news, sports and features? (I vote for following AP style)
Can we use "Saint" for all hospitals that start with that, rather than St. for some and Saint for others? If not, we need an updated list of which is which. (I vote for Saint for all)
What's a reasonable deadline for all local news copy to be sent to the copy desk, with the exception of late events? (I vote for 6 p.m.)
Do we forbid the use of accents such as umlauts and tildes, per AP Style, except in sensitive content with special requests such as obits? (I vote yes).
I think the decisions have to be communicated via mass e-mail, or at least an e-mail needs to alert folks that a decision has been made on this blog and tell them to come here for the info.
I need my own log-in identity, when I figure it out. The last post was from me, Mark T.
I look this up almost every time I correct it, just to be be positive: "Lake Du Bay" is correct, according to the lake index of Brian's Wisconsin Counties atlas. Kerry and Rick agree that this is our style. And, as Kerry just reminded me, the lake is in Knowlton.
With regards to Lake DuBay, I have no idea what the "lake index of Brian's Wisconsin Counties atlas" is but anyone from the area, including the highway exit ramp sign, use DuBay. I don't know who wrote the Wisconsin Counties atlas but I would think that the people who live here would know, better than anyone else, what it is.
The WI DNR refers to it as DuBay, the sailing association is called "Lake DuBay", etc... If you do a google search for "Lake Du Bay", 99% of the results come back "DuBay". I think a simple majority rules would also apply.
Kim, you raise a good question about the validity of a source called "lake index of Brian's Wisconsin Counties atlas." I'm sorry I was so vague. What I should have said is that a Wisconsin atlas and a Marathon County wall map that we have in the Wausau Daily Herald newsroom refer to the lake as Lake Du Bay.
You make good points that we should consider, though I have noticed that sometimes road signs are wrong, and sometimes the DNR does call the lake
Lake Du Bay.
I would like to retract my previous comments regarding that lake in Knowlton ... the jury is definitely still out on that question ... as it appears to be with all of these questions, for now.
Post a Comment